Biden, Xi restore military ties
On Wednesday, US President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed to reestablish military contacts between the two countries, despite Mr Biden going off script and declaring he still regarded Mr Xi a “dictator.”
What kind of relationship exists between the US and China?
- The United States and China have one of the most important and complicated bilateral partnerships in the world. The relationship has evolved from one of antagonism and strife to one of cooperation. However, there have been times when the two countries have clashed over subjects such as trade, climate change, and Taiwan.
- The United States is China’s most important trading partner and purchaser of Chinese exports. China is the US’s third-largest trading partner and key import supplier.
- The United States is presently imposing a 25% tariff on about $250 billion in Chinese imports and a 7.5 per cent tariff on approximately $112 billion in Chinese imports.
- On November 15, 2023, Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden held their first face-to-face meeting in a year at the Filoli Estate in San Francisco. They agreed to further cooperation in key areas.
What are the topics discussed in the talks between the US and China?
- Restoring Military Communications: The leaders agreed to reestablish military communications between the United States and China. This measure is viewed as crucial in avoiding potential tensions between the two countries.
- Fentanyl Crackdown: China agreed to restrict the production of ingredients for fentanyl, a strong opioid responsible for a deadly opioid abuse crisis in the United States. President Xi expressed compassion for the drug’s victims.
- Taiwan Dispute: The leaders continued to disagree on Taiwan. President Xi pushed President Biden to disarm Taiwan, stressing that reunification was “unstoppable.” The United States and China hold opposing views on Taiwan’s status, with Beijing claiming sovereignty over the self-governing island.
- Additional Agreements: The two parties agreed to hold discussions on artificial intelligence and to strengthen climate change cooperation ahead of the COP28 conference in Dubai.
What is the COP28 conference?
- The 2023 United Nations Climate Change Conference, also known as the Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), will be held from November 30 to December 12, 2023, at Expo City in Dubai. Since the first UN climate agreement in 1992, the conference has been held annually. The purpose of the COP conferences is for nations to reach an agreement on policies to minimize global temperature rises and adapt to the effects of climate change.
Why is the US-China relationship significant for India?
- Stability in the Region: The Indo-Pacific region’s stability and balance of power are critical to India’s security and interests. Any significant changes in the US-China relationship can have an impact on regional dynamics, potentially harming India’s security situation.
- Interdependence in the Economy: Both the United States and China are important economic partners for India. Changes in their economic relationship, such as trade conflicts or partnerships, can have both direct and indirect economic effects on India.
- Strategic Partnerships: India has been building strategic ties with the US, perceiving it as a critical partner in solving regional security problems. India maintains diplomatic and commercial connections with China at the same time. The dynamics between the United States and China can have an impact on India’s strategic alliances and relationships.
Overall, the summit addressed a wide range of bilateral and global concerns, including moments of diplomatic interaction and agreement as well as serious disagreement. President Biden’s off-script remark gave an unexpected twist to the diplomatic proceedings.