Sujlam 2.0 Campaign
· Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched the Sujalam 2.0 campaign for greywater management at a virtual event hosted by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti to mark the World Water Day, 2022.
What is grey water?
· Greywater is wastewater from non-toilet plumbing systems such as hand basins, washing machines, showers and baths.
· When handled properly, greywater can be safely reused for the garden.
- Sujlam 2.0, the campaign will focus on creation of community and institutional greywater management assets.
- Greywater, if treated properly, can be used in several ways like for farming and gardening.
- If this water is left untreated then it can also cause diseases.
- Hence, in view of providing water security to people, under the Jal Jeevan mission, the greywater plan is being made an integral part of the village action plan.
- Hence the ministry is launching Sujlam 2 which focuses on creation of community and institutional greywater management assets.
- A Joint Advisory was also signed by 9 Ministries namely the Ministry of (M/o) Jal Shakti, M/o Rural Development, M/o Women & Child Development, M/o Youth Affairs and Sports, M/o Tribal Affairs, M/o Health and Family Welfare, M/o Education, M/o Environment, Forest and Climate Change and M/o Panchayati Raj, on how greywater management will be taken up at their level based on convergence model with all those who are directly associated in programme implementation.
Source: THE HINDU