PM unveils National Emblem atop New Parliament Building
- The National Emblem: also known as Lion Capital
- Taken from Asoka’s Pillar at Sanchi Stupa in Sarnath near Varanasi.
- Built by Mauryan Emperor Asoka.
- The Pillar is made using Polished Sandstone.
- It was built to commemorate Buddha’s first sermon after getting enlightened at Sarnath called Dharmachakrapravartan.
- The original Pillar had 5 components
- The shaft; made of a single stone
- A lotus base bell
- A drum on the base bell with 4 animals proceeding clockwise (abacus)
- Figures of 4 lions which are seated back-to-back on a circular abacus.
- The crowning part, a large wheel which represents Dharmachakra in Buddhism (the wheel of dhamma/dharma).
Source The Hindu