Complexity in India – Russia relations
- Recently a diplomat from Australia supported India’s strategic engagement with Russia claiming that India has to deal with China In the north eastern border.
- Russia remains an all-weather friend for India, even at UNSC Russia has been supporting India’s stand.
- Russia being a major veto power Has helped India in Kashmir issue.
Even in the Cold War period Russia has been a constant supporter apart from this India import most of its defence equipment’s from Russia.
- Even though India has been diversifying its defence needs to countries such as USA and Israel Russia still remains a major defence partner.
- In this context India faces a diplomatic challenge of balancing the western powers and its age old relations with Russia.
- But since the 1990s in the new liberal global order India has strengthened its relations with the West especially United States of America.
- Apart from dealing with the land border, India has large maritime borders Where it has to deal with Chinese assertiveness.
- Hence The Quad grouping plays a major role in the Indian Ocean region.
- Japan Australia and USA being naval super powers can help India in countering China’s assertiveness.
- With China’s Naval expansion, Many in the region especially the Southeast Asian countries and other small countries in the Indian Ocean region face the threat of expansion of China.
- India being a major country in this region can play a huge role in upholding the balance of power.
Source: THE HINDU