Website for tracking sources of air pollution
#GS-03 Air Pollution
- Delhi government has launched a website, www.raasman.com, which will provide real-time data on the sources of air pollution in the city.
- This website is expected to help the Delhi government frame effective policies to curb air pollution in the city.
- The data for the website is collected and processed by two laboratories, a ‘super site’ and a mobile laboratory which were used for the “real-time source apportionment study”.
- Under this study, the data on Delhi’s air were collected over many months and a model (software) was created.
- This software shows the sources of air pollution by using air from the surroundings as input.
- This study is conducted by various institutes, including IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
The use of this website
- This data could provide clarity on the source of air pollution in the Capital since Delhi government has been stating that stubble burning is the major cause of air pollution while the Centre has on several occasions cited local pollutants as the main reason.
- Finding the sources of pollution on a real-time basis will also help to frame an effective policy on the issue.
- It can also help forecast the city’s major pollution creator over the coming days, which will in turn assist the government in taking corrective steps.
For more updates Click Here