- The start-up, Rumin8, has received funding worth $12 million from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, which Gates created in 2015.
How methane is released?
- The herbivores that chew cud while grazing or browsing are known as ruminant species.
- Cows, sheep, goats, and buffaloes are examples of ruminants, which have a unique sort of digestive tract that enables them to break down and digest food that other species of animals would not be able to.
- Ruminant animals have four chambers in their stomachs, one of which, the rumen, allows them to store and ferment partially digested food.
- Animals vomit this partially digested and fermented food, where they finish the digestive process by chewing it again.
Why is methane a problem?
- Methane is second only to carbon dioxide in its contribution to global warming since preindustrial times, accounting for 30% of the warming.
- According to a report by the United Nations Environment Programme, methane has an 80 times more warming potential than carbon dioxide over a 20-year period.
- Additionally, it is the main cause of the colourless, extremely unpleasant gas known as ground-level ozone, which originates just above the Earth’s surface.
- A report from 2022 claims that exposure to ground-level ozone may be causing 1 million preventable deaths annually.
Source The Hindu
For more updates, Click Here