Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan (RGSA)
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi,has approved continuation of revamped Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan (RGSA) for implementation.
• The focus of the reformed RGSA will be on “captivating” PRI elected legislators for leadership roles in order to build a successful third tier of government.
• The initiative is expected to help them achieve nine SDGs (sustainable development goals): poverty-free and improved livelihoods in villages; healthy villages, child-friendly villages, water-sufficient villages; clean and green villages; self-sufficient infrastructure in villages, socially secure villages; village with good governance; and engendered development in villages.
• The revised RGSA will aid in the improvement of Panchayati Raj Institutions and village development.” It would aid in bridging the rural-urban divide and strengthening Panchayati Raj institutions across the country.
• As Panchayats have representation of Schedule Castes, Schedule Tribes and women, and are institutions closest to the grassroots, strengthening Panchayats will promote equity and inclusiveness, along with Social Justice and economic development of the community.
• Panchayats will progressively be strengthened through incentivisation based on nationally important criteria to recognise roles of Panchayats in attainment of SDGs and to inculcate spirit of healthy competition.
Source: THE HINDU.