National Panchayati Raj Day
• Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will undertake a visit to Jammu & Kashmir to participate in the celebration of National Panchayati Raj Day on 24 April 2022 and address all the Gram Sabhas across the country.
• In the Indian subcontinent, Panchayati Raj is the oldest form of local governance. Panchayati Raj Institutions have existed in India for a long time as local government unit.
• However, by the 73rd Amendment Act of 1992, it was legally formed as the third level of India’s federal democracy by the Indian Constitution.
There are three levels to the Panchayati Raj Institution (PRI):
• Gram Panchayat at the village level
• Block Panchayat or Panchayat Samiti at the intermediate level
• Zilla Panchayat at the district level
• All the members at the village, intermediate and district level shall be elected directly by the people.
• The chairperson of the intermediate and district level shall be indirectly elected
• Chairman of the panchayat shall be elected in such a manner as the state legislature provides for
• Every Gram Panchayat shall set aside seats for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, with the number of seats thus set aside bearing, as closely as possible, the same proportion to the total number of seats to be filled by direct election in that Panchayat.
• A minimum of one-third of the total number of seats allotted under shall be reserved for women from Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes, as the case may be.
• A minimum of one-third of the total number of seats to be filled by direct election in each Gram Panchayat (including the number of seats reserved for women belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) shall be reserved for women, and such seats may be allotted by rotation to different constituencies in a Gram Panchayat in such a manner as may be prescribed.
Source: THE HINDU.
For more update, click here to join our telegram channel