National Coal Price Index
National Coal Price Index Records a 17.54% Decrease in November 2023.
National Coal Price Index:
- The National Coal Index (NCI) is a representative price index that indicates the variation in the price levels of coal in a specific month compared to the established base year, which is FY 2017-18.
- The index incorporates coal prices from all sales channels, encompassing imports, in its compilation, reflecting the prevailing market conditions.
- The NCI plays a crucial role in determining the revenue share per tonne of coal produced from auctioned blocks, utilizing a defined formula.
- Introduced in June 2020, the NCI is accessible on the Ministry of Coal’s website.
- It consists of five sub-indices, with three dedicated to Non-Coking Coal and two for Coking Coal. The combination of these sub-indices produces the overall indices for Non-Coking Coal and Coking Coal, respectively.
- This separation allows for a detailed assessment based on coal grades from different mines, determining the applicable sub-index for calculating the revenue share.