Keeping head above water in Silchar
#GS-03 : Disaster Management
For Prelims :
- Originates in Manipur and passes through Mizoram and Assam and enters Bangladesh.
- National Waterway Six is on Barak River.
- Tipaimukh is a proposed Dam over this river.
- According to Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) at least 5.75 lakh people have been affected as off May 2022.
- Assam accounts for nearly 10% of the total flood prone area in the country.
- One of the major causes of flood in Assam is bank erosion by Brahmaputra (Removal of soil and rock particles along the banks of river).
- The man made reasons such as encroachment, lack of drainage, unplanned urbanization and deforestation are also major causes for floods.
- Rejuvenation of wetlands, Reconstruction of embankments and flood planning zoning can be used to reduce the impact of future floods.