- The law is meant to punish countries having deep engagements with Russia, North Korea, and Iran using economic sanctions. Several US lawmakers have called for a waiver to India, which has started acquiring Russian S-400 missile systems. India has always underlined the independence of its defence policy.
- Russian engineers created the mobile surface-to-air missile (SAM) system known as the S-400 Triumf.
- It is regarded to be far more deadly than the US-developed Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, making it the most dangerous operationally deployed modern long-range SAM (MLR SAM) in the world (THAAD).
What is CAATSA?
- The main goal of the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) is to use punitive actions to oppose Iran, Russia, and North Korea.
- It imposes sanctions against nations that conduct major business with Russia’s defence and intelligence industries.
What sanctions will be imposed?
- Prohibition on loans to the sanctioned person.
- Prohibition of Export-Import bank assistance for exports to sanctioned persons.
- Prohibition on procurement by United States Government to procure goods or services from the sanctioned person.
- Denial of visas to persons closely associated with the sanctioned person.
- The S-400 decision is a powerful illustration of how far our defence and strategic alliance has come and how India’s ability to select its overseas partners, particularly when it comes to matters of national interest and national security, is unwavering.
Source : The Hindu