PM GATISHAKTI NATIONAL MASTER PLAN
- PM GatiShakti is a transformative approach for economic growth and sustainable development.
- The approach is driven by seven engines, namely, Roads, Railways, Airports, Ports, Mass Transport, Waterways, and Logistics Infrastructure.
- While presenting the Union Budget 2022-23 in Parliament today the union minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Smt.Nirmala Sitharaman said all seven engines will pull forward the economy in unison.
- These engines are supported by the complementary roles of Energy Transmission, IT Communication, Bulk Water & Sewerage, and Social Infrastructure.
- Gati shakti is a digital platform that will bring 16 ministries including railways and roadways together for integrated planning and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects.
- This will help in removing long-standing issues such as disjointed planning, lack of standardization, problems with clearances, and timely creation and utilization of infrastructure capacities.
- The Gati Shakti scheme will subsume the Rs.110 lakh crore National Infrastructure Pipeline that was launched in 2019.
- The portal will offer 200+ layers of geospatial data, including that on existing infrastructure.
- It will also allow various government departments to track, in real-time and at one centralized place, the progress of various projects.
- It will help different departments to prioritize their projects through cross-sectoral interactions.
- The Gati shakti platform aims to prevent overlapping of works by addressing the issue of government departments working in tandem.
- By incorporating infrastructure schemes under various ministries and states, the platform aims at boosting last-mile connectivity bringing down logistics costs with integrated planning and reducing implementation overlaps.
Other key details:
- A project monitoring group under the Department of Promotion of industry and Internal trade (DPIIT)will monitor the progress of key projects in real-time.
- They will also report any inter-ministerial issues to a group of ministries, who will then aim to resolve these.
- PM Gati Shakti will incorporate the infrastructure schemes of various Ministries and State Governments like Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry/land ports, UDAN, etc.
- Economic Zones like textile clusters, pharmaceutical clusters, defence corridors, electronic parks, industrial corridors, fishing clusters, Agri zones will be covered to improve connectivity & make Indian businesses more competitive.
Source: THE HINDU.