About the NSG:
- The National Security Guard (NSG) is a counter-terrorism squad established in 1986 by an act of Parliament known as the ‘National Security Guard Act, 1986.’
- The idea for such a force arose in the aftermath of Operation Blue Star (an Indian military action carried out in 1984 to remove militant religious leaders from the Golden Temple in Amritsar), the Akshardham Temple attack, and the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for ‘combating terrorist activities with a view to protect states against internal disturbances.’
- It is a task-oriented force that reports to the Ministry of Home Affairs and consists of two complimentary elements:
Composition of NSG:
- The Special Action Group (SAG), which is made up entirely of Army troops, is the NSG’s main offensive or striking wing.
- Personnel from the Central Armed Police Forces/State Police Forces make up Special Ranger Groups (SRG). They are usually in charge of VIP security.
- The Minister of Home Affairs selects and appoints the head of the NSG, known as the Director General (DG).
Objectives of NSG:
- It has always adhered to the motto ‘Sarvatra, Sarvottam, Suraksha,’ with a concentration on its primary idea of quick strike and fast withdrawal from the battlefield.
- As a Federal Contingency Force, the National Security Guard has been tasked with dealing with all aspects of terrorism in any section of the country.
- The NSG is equipped to carry out counter-terrorist operations on land, sea, and air, as well as bomb disposal (searching for, detecting, and neutralizing IEDs), Post-Blast Investigation (PBI), and hostage rescue missions.
- Because of their black uniforms and black cat insignia, NSG members are frequently referred to as Black Cat Commandos in the media.
Operations carried out by NSG:
- Operation Black Thunder is a military operation that takes place in the United (Golden Temple, Amritsar, 1986 & 1988)
- Operation Ashwamedh is a military operation that takes place in India (Indian Airlines Flight-IC427 hijacking, India, 1993)
- Vajra Shakti or Operation Thunderbolt (Akshardham Temple attack, Gujarat, 2002)
- Black Tornado is a military operation that takes place in the United States (Mumbai Blasts, 2008)
Source The Hindu