IAS Current affairs - POSH ACT

About the NCPCR:

  • The Commission for the Protection of Child Rights Act of 2005 was established in March 2007.
  • It operates under the Ministry of Women and Child Development’s administrative supervision.
  • A child is described as a person who is between the ages of 0 and 18.
  • The mandate of the Commission is to ensure that all laws, policies, programs, and administrative mechanisms are consistent with the Child Rights perspective as embodied in the Indian Constitution and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

The NCPCR has the following authority under the RTE Act of 2009 to:

  • Inquire into any reports of legal violations.
  • Subpoena a person and demand proof.
  • Obtain a magisterial investigation.
  • In the High Court or Supreme Court, file a writ petition.
  • contact the relevant government to request that the perpetrator be prosecuted.
  • Recommend that individuals who have been affected receive interim relief.

Composition of NCLAT:

  • There is a chairperson and six members on this panel, at least two of whom should be women.
  • They are all nominated by the central government for a three-year term.
  • The Chairman can serve in the commission until he is 65 years old, and members can serve until they are 60 years old.

Committees for the Protection of Children:

  • Child Welfare Committees (CWCs) are to be formed by the State Government for each district, according to Section 27(1) of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 (JJ Act), to exercise the powers and discharge the duties conferred on such Committees in relation to children in need of care and protection under the JJ Act, 2015.

The committees’ composition is as follows:

  • The Committee will be composed of a Chairperson and four additional members appointed by the State Government, one of whom must be a woman and another must be an expert on children’s issues.

Conditions for eligibility:

  • The Chairperson and members must be at least 35 years old and have at least seven years of experience working with children in the fields of education, health, or welfare activities, or they must be a practicing professional with a degree in child psychology, psychiatry, social work, sociology, or human development, or a retired judicial officer.

Source The Hindu