KISAN SAMPADA YOJANA
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries has been organizing/sponsoring seminars, workshops, exhibitions, etc. for spreading awareness amongst stakeholders about the benefits available under various schemes of the Ministry with the aim to encourage investment in the sector.
- In 2021, food processing summits were organized in Assam (Guwahati), Madhya Pradesh (Gwalior) and Meghalaya (Shillong).
- Hosting of such events has however been severely impacted due to the guidelines for strict adherence of COVID appropriate behaviour and the restrictions imposed by different States/UTs to curb spread of corona virus.
- Ministry has, however, been extensively utilizing social media and digital platforms for outreaching to the stakeholders.
- In 2016, MoFPI introduced an umbrella Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters or SAMPADA, which was proposed to be implemented with an allocation of ₹6,000 crores for the period of 2016-20.
- In 2017, SAMPADA was renamed as the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY).
- It is a Central Sector Scheme.
- Under PMKSY, capital subsidy in the form of grants-in-aid ranging from 35% to 75% of the eligible project cost subject to a maximum specified limit is provided to investors under the various schemes for undertaking infrastructure, logistic projects and setting up of food processing units in the country.
- To supplement agriculture.
- To create processing and preservation capacities.
- To modernize and expand existing food processing units with a view to increasing the level of processing.
- To add value leading to the reduction of wastage.
Source: THE HINDU.