World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2020
#GS1 #Art #Heritage
The World Day for Audiovisual Heritage takes place every 27 October.
Theme: “Your Window to the World”
- This commemorative day was chosen by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in 2005 to raise awareness of the significance and preservation risks of recorded sound and audiovisual documents (films, sound and video recordings, radio and television programmes).
- The main objectives of designating the date of 27 October were listed by UNESCO:
- Raising public awareness of the need for preservation.
- Providing opportunities to celebrate specific local, national or international aspects of the heritage.
- Highlighting the accessibility of archives.
- Attracting media attention to heritage issues.
- Raising the cultural status of audiovisual heritage.
- Highlighting audiovisual heritage in danger, especially in developing countries.
- It is a specialised agency of the United Nations (UN) aimed at promoting world peace and security through international cooperation in education, the sciences, and culture. UNESCO was founded in 1945. It is headquartered in Paris.