With love from Vasamilli
The Rasamalli jacket, the Vasamilli shift and the Samarani top - these are named after three Toda women who spent the lockdown in their traditional homes in the Nilgiris working on their famous embroidery, which has been awarded the GI tag.
- Toda Tribe is a pastoral tribe of the Nilgiri Hills of southern India.
- The Toda language is Dravidian. But it is distinct among the Dravidian languages family.
- They trade dairy products, cane and bamboo articles
- The embroidery is done by Toda women and has distinctive red and black (and occasionally blue) thread work in geometric designs on unbleached white cotton fabric.
- It has got a Geographical Indications (GI) Tag.