Virtual Vesak Global Celebrations
#GS1 #Culture #Festivals #Buddism
News : Prime Minister to participate in the Virtual Vesak Global Celebrations on Buddha Purnima, 7th May 2020.
- Ministry of Culture, Government of India in collaboration with the International Buddhist Confederation (IBC), a global Buddhist umbrella organization is holding a Virtual Prayer Event with the participation of all the supreme heads of the Buddhist Sanghas from around the world.
- Buddha Purnima celebrations are being held through a Virtual Visak day owing to the impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic across the globe.
Buddha Purnima also known as Vaishak Purnima is the birth anniversary of Gautama Buddha. 2020 marks the 2,564rd birth anniversary of the Buddha.
- It is an important day charted by Buddhist monks and all followers of the message of Gautam Buddha.
- Interestingly, Buddha Purnima or Vesak- Buddha Poornima, is considered the Triple Blessed Day as Tathagata Gautam Buddha's Birth, Enlightenment and Maha Parnirvana.
- The world over, the day is observed through dhana, sila and bhavana.
Dāna (Generosity) group includes:
- Dāna (giving)
- Transfer of merits to others (pattidāna)
- Rejoicing (accepting or participating) in other’s merits (pattanumodana)
Sila (Morality) group includes:
- Sila (morality), i.e., observing 5, 8, or 10 precepts
- Reverence to elders and holy persons (apacayaṃa)
- Pay homage to religious places, take care of such places, etc (veyyavacca)
Bhāvanā (meditation) group includes:
- Meditation (bhāvanā)
- Listening to Dhamma discourses (Dhamma savana)
- Teaching Dhamma (Dhamma desana)
- Correcting one’s wrong views, especially on kamma (diṭṭhijukamma)