U.S. formally exits Paris Agreement on curbing Climate Change
#GS2 #BilateralAgreements #GS3 #Environment
The United States has formally left the Paris Agreement.
- An agreement was signed on 22 April 2016.
- It is a historic international accord that brings almost 200 countries together in setting a common target to reduce global greenhouse emissions in an effort to fight climate change.
- The pact seeks to keep global temperature rise to below 2 degrees Celsius from pre-industrial levels, and to try and limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
- To this end, each country has pledged to implement targeted action plans that will limit their greenhouse gas emissions.
- The Agreement asks rich and developed countries to provide financial and technological support to the developing world in its quest to fight and adapt to climate change.