The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)
#GS3 #Schemes #Eduation
Human Resource Development Minister, MoS (I/C) Housing & Urban Affairs, and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) have jointly launched an online portal for `The Urban Learning Internship Program (TULIP)’ - A program for providing internship opportunities to fresh graduates in all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and Smart Cities across the country.
- TULIP has been conceived pursuant to the Budget 2020-21 announcement by the Finance Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman under the theme ‘Aspirational India’.
- The announcement read as follows: “The Government proposes to start a program whereby the urban local bodies across the country would provide internship opportunities to fresh engineers for a period up to one year.”
- Such a program will help reap the benefits of India’s demographic dividend as it is poised to have the largest working-age population in the world in the coming years.
- India has a substantial pool of technical graduates for whom exposure to real world project implementation and planning is essential for professional development.
- General education may not reflect the depth of productive knowledge present in society. Instead of approaching education as ‘doing by learning,’ our societies need to reimagine education as ‘learning by doing.’
Significance of TULIP Program :
- VALUE-TO MARKET : TULIP would help enhance the value-to-market of India’s graduates and help create a potential talent pool in diverse fields like urban planning, transport engineering, environment, municipal finance etc.
- EXTRACTING DEMOGRAPHIC DIVIDEND: Such a program will help reap the benefits of India’s demographic dividend as it is poised to have the largest working-age population in the world in the coming years.
- POOL OF EXPOSURE : India has a substantial pool of technical graduates for whom exposure to real world project implementation and planning is essential for professional development.
- PROFESSIONALISM : Thus not only catalyzing creation of prospective city managers but also talented private/ non-government sector professionals.
TULIP PORTAL :
- It will lead to infusion of fresh ideas and energy with engagement of youth in co-creation of solutions for solving India’s urban challenges.
- The digital platform powering TULIP enables discovery, engagement, aggregation, amplification and transparency.
- The platform is customizable and provides immense flexibility to both ULBs/ Smart Cities and interns to enable convenient access.
- Security features have been thoroughly tested and the platform has been made scalable, federated and transparent by design.