#GS1 #Geography #Tornado
News : Houses damaged, power supply and road transport hit due to tornado in Odisha.
- From severe thunderstorms sometimes spiraling wind descends like a trunk of an elephant with great force, with very low pressure at the center, causing massive destruction on its way. Such a phenomenon is called a tornado.
- Tornadoes generally occur in middle latitudes. The tornado over the sea is called water sprouts.
- These violent storms are the manifestation of the atmosphere’s adjustments to varying energy distribution. The potential and heat energies are converted into kinetic energy in these storms and the restless atmosphere again returns to its stable state.
- Tornado is a small-diameter column of violently rotating air developed within a convective cloud and in contact with the ground.
- Tornadoes occur most often in association with thunderstorms during the spring and summer in the mid-latitudes of both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
- These whirling atmospheric vortices can generate the strongest winds known on Earth: wind speeds in the range of 500 km (300 miles) per hour.
- They are often referred to as twisters or cyclones.