News : Tata Group is planning to launch an all-in-one super app soon.
- A super app is a platform developed by a company offering various services under one umbrella. For example, China’s WeChat, which started out as a messaging app, expanded into payments, cabs, shopping, food ordering, cab services to become a super app.
- A physical world comparison of a super app would be a mall, which allows retail space to various brands and shops across businesses and verticals.
Who makes super apps?
- Typically, companies that have a slew of services and products to offer tend to consolidate these offerings into a super app.
- The very concept of a conglomerate trying to keep a customer within its own ecosystem for most services they might require increases the possibility of a monopoly.
- This is in addition to concerns of privacy in cases where a super app has onboarded third-party service providers.
- Experts pointed out that data collected by the master app could then be used to train machines in artificial intelligence and predict consumer behaviour even more accurately.