Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization (SMAM)
The agricultural land area is becoming limited in our nation. Due to the growth in population, the demand for food is rapidly increasing. The Government has taken this into consideration and has been taking initiatives to increase food productivity in the limited land. Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanism (SMAM) is implemented in every state to promote farm mechanization.
- Increase the reach of farm mechanization to small and marginal farmers and to the regions where availability of farm power is low.
- Promote ‘Custom Hiring Centres’ to balance the adverse economics of scale arising from small landholding and high cost of individual ownership.
- Create hubs for hi-tech and high-value farm equipment.
- Create awareness among stakeholders through capacity building activities.
- Make sure performance testing and certification at designed testing centers that are situated throughout the country.