#GS3 #Transportation #Development #Environment
The first look India’s first RRTS (Region Rapid Transit System) train was unveiled recently. It is an environment friendly, energy efficient train which will improve the quality of life in and around NCR by accelerating economic growth, creating economic opportunities and at the same time reducing air pollution, carbon footprint, congestion, and accidents.
About RRTS train
- The state-of-the-art RRTS rolling stock will be first of its kind in India with a design speed of 180 kmph.
- With radiating stainless steel outer body, these aerodynamic RRTS trains will be lightweight and fully air-conditioned.
- Each car will have six automatic plug-in type wide doors, three on each side (Business Class will have four such doors, two on each side) for ease of access and exit.
- The RRTS trains will have transverse 2×2 seating with adequate legroom, optimised aisle width with grab handles and grab poles for a comfortable journey for standing passengers, overhead luggage rack, mobile/laptop charging sockets and on board Wi-Fi among other commuter-centric features.
- RRTS rolling stock will have lighting and temperature control systems to enhance the passenger experience with less energy consumption. Equipped with modern amenities, the RRTS rolling stock will be a unique amalgamation of new-age technology and India’s rich heritage.
Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS Corridor
- The Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor is one of the three prioritised RRTS corridor being implemented in phase-1.
- The 82 km long Delhi–Ghaziabad–Meerut Corridor is the first RRTS corridor being implemented in India.
- The corridor will bring down the travel time between Delhi to Meerut by around 1/3rd.
- The commute time from Delhi to Meerut will be reduced to less than an hour from 3-4 hours by road at present.
- National Capital Region Transport Corporation is a joint venture of the Government of India (50%) and State Governments of Haryana (12.5%), NCT Delhi (12.5%), Uttar Pradesh (12.5%) and Rajasthan (12.5%).
- It is mandated to design, construct, finance, operate and maintain RRTS in NCR and works under the administrative control of Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs, GOI.
- NCRTC is mandated to implement India’s first RRTS in NCR.