Roll On Roll Off (RORO)
#GS3 #Transportation #Development
Minister of State of Railways flagged off first-ever RORO service of South Western Railway from Nelamangla (near Bengaluru) to Bale (near Solapur).
About Roll On Roll Off (RORO)
- Roll On Roll Off (RORO)is a concept of carrying road vehicles loaded with various commodities, on open flat railway wagons. Hon’ble PM, in his recent Independence Day speech, has envisaged multimodal connectivity to take India to the next level of development.
- RORO services are a combination of best features of road and rail transports in the sense that they offer door to door service with minimal handling transported by fat and direct rail link.
- Road transport has the advantage of door to door delivery of goods. However, increasing traffic on roads is leading to congestion and delays to passenger vehicles. This will cause unsafe travel conditions. Also, delays at interstate check posts due to inspection of various documents, etc. contribute to increased travel time.
- On the other hand, Railways provide hassle-free and environmentally friendly transport to medium to the large quantum of freight. Rail transport is the most fuel-efficient of all means of transport and is much safer than the road.
Advantages of RO-RO :
- Roll-on-Roll-off is a multimodal delivery model with the following advantages
- Faster movement of goods and essentials, reducing Time taken by trucks to reach destinations due to traffic congestion in between cities
- Reduces congestion on the roads
- Saves precious fuel
- Reduces carbon footprint
- Relief to the crew of truck as it avoids long-distance driving
- No hassles of check posts/toll gates etc
- Seamless Inter-operability between roadways & railways-Inter-modal transport on existing track
- Ensuring an uninterrupted supply of essential commodities
- Free time for loading/ unloading is 3 hours
- Ro-RO will be a reckoning force in "vocal for local" –
- Will boost our local MSME units by encouraging piecemeal /decentralized loading through trucks.
- RO-RO will help government initiatives like "operation green" to stabilize prices of TOP(tomato, potato, and Onion)
- Provides a link between agriculture producing regions and agro consumption centers
- Ensures farmers get the right market and right price for their produce
- Connects and Balances the commodity deficient and surplus markets
- RO-ROtrain services were first introduced in Indian Railways on Konkan Railways in 1999, and are running successfully since then.