Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
The Prime Minister, inaugurated the Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas Convention, and spoke about overseas Indians for their role during the Corona pandemic in their respective countries.
- India is always at the forefront of mitigation of global challenges. India’s lead in fight against colonialism and terrorism gave strength to the world to face these menaces.
- The credit of the world’s trust in India, its food, fashion, family values and business values goes to the overseas Indians.
- Conduct of the overseas Indians created an interest in Indian way and values and what started as curiosity turned into convention.
- The overseas Indian have a major role to play as their use of made in India products will create more confidence in Indian products.
- This is a celebratory day observed (starting in 2001) on 9 January by the Republic of India to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community towards the development of India.
- The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to Mumbai on 9 January 1915.
- Established in 2000, it is sponsored by the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the Confederation of Indian Industries and the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
- A celebratory event is held on 7– 9 January every other year in an Indian city: a forum for issues concerning the Indian Diaspora is organised and the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards are given.