OECD Working Group on GLP
India has been designated the ‘Vice Chair’ of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Working Group of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), recognising the contribution of the Indian GLP programme.
What is ‘Good Laboratory Practice’ programme?
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) is a quality system, which has been evolved by Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) to ensure that safety data generated on various chemicals like industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals (Human and Veterinary), agrochemicals, cosmetic products, food/ feed additives, and medical devices, etc., can be relied upon by regulatory authorities.
NCGMA – Nodal agency in India
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) established the National GLP Compliance Monitoring Authority (NGCMA) with the approval of the Union Cabinet on April 24, 2002.
- NGCMA is the National body which grants GLP certification to test facilities (TFs) conducting safety studies on new chemicals of the above-mentioned categories in accordance with OECD Principles of GLP and OECD Council norms.
- The non-hazardous nature of chemicals needs to be established through studies and data, which is examined by the regulators of the concerned countries to certify that the use of these chemicals does not pose any hazards to human health and the environment.
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an international, intergovernmental economic organisation of 36 countries.
- OECD was founded in the year 1961 to stimulate world trade and economic progress.
- Most OECD members are high-income economies with a very high Human Development Index (HDI) and are regarded as developed countries. OECD members are democratic countries that support free-market economies.
- It provides a platform for its member countries to compare policy experiences, seek answers to common problems, identify and share best practices and coordinate domestic and international policies of its member nations.
- OECD Secretariat is located in Paris, France.