The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has greeted the people on the auspicious occasion of Nuakhai Juhar.
- Nuakhai is an agricultural festival mainly observed by people of Western Odisha and adjoining areas of Simdega in Jharkhand.
- It is observed on the fifth day of the lunar fortnight of the month of Bhadrapada or Bhaadra (August–September), the day after the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
- The word nua means new and khai means food, so the name means the farmers are in possession of the newly harvested rice.
- It is observed to welcome the new rice of the season.
- During the festival, the head of the family worships the household deity, offering rice and other food items. He then distributes the prashad among the family members.
- Apart from the rituals of offering the new crop to the deity, the ‘Nuakhai Juhar’ is a major ritual of the festival, which is an exchange of greetings with friends, relatives and well-wishers.