Nepal summons Indian envoy over border row
Protests take place in Kathmandu
- Nepal summoned the Indian envoy and handed a diplomatic note of protest over the construction of a link road that will reduce travelling time from India to the pilgrimage zone of Kailash Mansarovar in China’s Tibet.
- The diplomatic note was in line with the statement from Nepal’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which recalled the bilateral treaties, and urged India from carrying out any further activities in the region.
- Nepal disputes India’s claims and maintains that the region is part of its sovereign territory.
- Nepal will strengthen border posts and deploy more forces in the country’s southern and western borders with India.
- Kathmandu also witnessed protests by the student organisation of the Nepali Congress, and the Rashtriya Seema Rakhsha Abhiyan.