NCRB Report on crimes against SC/STs
#GS2 #Issues #CrimeRecords
The annual Crime in India 2019 report published by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has shown that the crime against members of the Scheduled Castes (SCs) and the Scheduled Tribes (STs) saw an increase of over 7% and 26% in 2019 compared with the 2018 figures.
- Due to “non-receipt of data” from West Bengal for 2019, the 2018 data had been used to arrive at national and city-wise figures.
Findings of the report
- A total of 45,935 cases were registered for committing crime against the SCs, showing an increase of 7.3% over 2018 when 42,793 such cases were recorded.
- At 11,829 cases, Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of crimes against the SCs in 2019, followed by 6,794 cases in Rajasthan and 6,544 cases in Bihar.
Crimes against women
- In the number of cases of rape of women belonging to the SCs, Rajasthan topped the list with 554 cases, followed by Uttar Pradesh at 537 and Madhya Pradesh at 510.
- A total of 8,257 cases were registered for crimes against the STs, an increase of 26.5% over 2018 when 6,528 such cases were registered. Madhya Pradesh recorded the highest number of cases against the STs with 1,922 cases, followed by Rajasthan with 1,797 and Odisha 576. The highest number of incidents of rape of tribal women (358) was registered in Madhya Pradesh.