National Migrant Information System
Recently, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has developed an online dashboard called ‘National Migrant Information System (NMIS)’.
- The online portal (NMIS) would maintain a central repository of migrant workers and help in speedy inter-state communication to facilitate the smooth movement of migrant workers to their native places.
- The key data pertaining to the persons migrating has been standardized for uploading such as name, age, mobile no., originating and destination district, date of travel etc.
- States will be able to visualize how many people are going out from where and how many are reaching their destination States.
- It has additional advantages like contact tracing, which may be useful in overall Covid-19 response work.
- The mobile numbers of people can be used for contact tracing and movement monitoring during Covid-19.
- Contact tracing is the process of identification of persons who may have come into contact with an infected person and subsequent collection of further information about these contacts.
- The Government of India has allowed the movement of migrant workers by buses and ‘Shramik’ special trains to enable them to travel to their native places.
National Disaster Management Authority
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is the apex statutory body for disaster management in India.
- It was constituted in accordance with the Disaster Management Act, 2005 with the Prime Minister as its Chairperson and nine other members, and one such member to be designated as Vice-Chairperson.
- Mandate: Its primary purpose is to coordinate response to natural or man-made disasters and for capacity-building in disaster resiliency and crisis response.
- It is also the apex body to lay down policies, plans and guidelines for Disaster Management to ensure timely and effective response to disasters.
- Vision: To build a safer and disaster resilient India by a holistic, proactive, technology driven and sustainable development strategy that involves all stakeholders and fosters a culture of prevention, preparedness and mitigation.