MSP for MFP scheme
News : TRIFED under Ministry of Tribal Affairs has asked the State Nodal Departments and Implementing Agencies to initiate procurement of Minor Forest Produces (MFPs) at Minimum Support Price (MSP) from the available funds under MSP for MFP Scheme.
About MSP for MFP Scheme
- The scheme, launched by the Centre in August 2013, provides fair price for MFP collected by tribals through MSP.
- It is designed as a social safety net for improvement of livelihood of MFP gatherers by providing them fair price for the MFPs they collect.
- MFP comprises all non-timber forest produce of plant origin such as bamboo, brush wood, stumps, cane, tussar, cocoons, honey, wax, lac, tendu or kendu leaves, medicinal plants and herbs, roots, tubers, etc, according to the Forest Rights Act, 2006.
- The Scheme was been implemented in eight States having Schedule areas as listed in the Fifth Schedule of the constitution of India.
- From November 2016, the scheme is applicable in all States.