Ministry issues SOP for sowing of kharif crops
#GS3 #Agriculture #PandemicManagement
Farmers asked to follow guidelines
- Transplanting of paddy and vegetables are labour-intensive activities.
- Hence, it is important to strictly follow guidelines on social distancing, sanitizing and wearing masks.
- Workers should wash their hands, legs and face with soap when coming out of the field for meal or rest, it added.
- For preparing land for sowing of kharif crops, the ministry said, farmers should minimise labour and use tractor.
- Farmers should use seed-cum-fertiliser drills and reduce the number of workers in the field.
- As per the SOP, social distancing and sanitization norms should be followed during field preparation, sowing and fertiliser application.
- Maintain social distance of atleast 1-2 metre during farm operations. Workers should be assigned separate duties with regard to farm activities.
- All farm equipment from seed drill, plough to tractor should be sanitized before use.
- Those working in the farm field should wear masks or cover their face with three layers of “chunnis, gamchha or towel,” it added.
- Each worker should have a separate utensil and clean it with soap after use, the SOP said.
- Burn or bury in soil empty packets of pesticides. Sun dry empty bags of seeds, fertilisers for two days for re-use.
- It also advised that farmers take bath and wash clothes with soap and sundry after the day’s work.