#GS3 #Environment #Biodiversity #Species
Researchers discover new moth species, rediscover another last seen a century ago in Arunachal Pradesh.
- A group of five researchers have discovered a new species of moth and rediscovered another that was last seen more than a century ago in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The new moth species belongs to the rare genus Metallolophia, of which only 16 species are known globally and three in India.
- The researchers have named it Metallolophia taleensis after the Tale wildlife sanctuary where it was discovered.
- The researchers collected two specimens of the new species in August last year. They also found three specimens of Metallolophia Opalina, another species of the same genus, from Tale.
- Two specimens of this species were last seen in Sikkim in 1886 and 1889. It was also seen in Nepal in 1893.