Quad navies participating in France-led exercise in eastern Indian Ocean region
#GS2 #Prelims fact
- French Navy, Indian Navy, Royal Australian Navy, Japan Maritime Self Defence Force and United States Navy are taking part in ‘La Pérouse’.
- Exercise La Pérouse will witness complex and advanced naval operations including surface warfare, anti-air warfare and air defence exercises, weapon firing exercises, cross deck flying operations, tactical manoeuvres and seamanship evolutions such as replenishment at sea” and will “showcase high levels of synergy, coordination and inter-operability between the friendly navies”.
- INS Satpura, with its helicopter, INS Kiltan, along with P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft, are participating “for the first time in multi-lateral maritime exercise La Pérouse, being conducted in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region
- The exercise La Pérouse, led by French Navy, has participation by FN Ships Tonnerre, an amphibious assault ship and frigate Surcouf.
- United States Navy is represented in the exercise by amphibious transport dock ship Somerset.
- Her Majesty’s Australian Ships (HMAS) Anzac, a frigate and tanker Sirius have been deployed by RAN for participation in the exercise while Japan Maritime Self Defence Ship (JMSDF) is represented by the destroyer Akebono.
- In addition to the ships, integral helicopters embarked onboard ships will also participate in the exercise
Participation by the Indian Navy in the exercise demonstrates the shared values with friendly navies ensuring freedom of seas and commitment to an open, inclusive Indo-Pacific and a rules-based international order