#GS2 #International #Summits
The 206th Session of the Governing Council of the Inter-Parliamentary Union, will be held from 1st to 4th November.
- The agenda of the Virtual Session includes the election of the new President of IPU through remote electronic secret ballot.
- Gabriela Cuevas Barron (MP, Mexico) had completed her term on 19th of this month.
About Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- The IPU is the global organization of national parliaments.
- Its primary purpose is to promote democratic governance, accountability, and cooperation among its members; other initiatives include advancing gender parity among legislatures, empowering youth participation in politics, and sustainable development.
- The organization was established in 1889.
- As of 2020, the national parliaments of 179 countries are members of the IPU, while 13 regional parliamentary assemblies are associate members.
- The IPU has played a leading role in the development of international law and institutions, including the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the League of Nations, and the United Nations.
- It also sponsors and takes part in international conferences and forums, and has permanent observer status at the United Nations General Assembly.
Objectives of IPU
- Building strong democratic parliaments
- Advancing gender equality and respect for women’s rights
- Protecting and promoting human rights
- Contributing to peace-building, conflict resolution and security
- Promoting inter-parliamentary dialogue and cooperation
- Promoting youth empowerment
- Mobilizing parliaments around the global development agenda
- Bridging the democracy gap in global governance