India registers a steep decline in maternal mortality ratio
The Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) in India has declined to 113 in 2016-2018 from 122 in 2015-2017 and 130 in 2014-2016
Who releases the MMR?
Office of the Registrar General’s Sample Registration System (SRS)
Ministry: Ministry of Home Affairs
The bulletin categorizes the country into three groups:
- Empowered Action Group (EAG),
- The Southern States and
- Other states.
MMR of various States
Madhya Pradesh: 173
Uttar Pradesh: 197
The southern States registered a lower MMR:
Andhra Pradesh: 65
Tamil Nadu: 60
Maternal Mortality Ratio
- One of the key indicators of maternal mortality is the MMR, defined as the number of maternal deaths per 1,00,000 live births
- As per the World Health Organization, maternal death is the death of a woman while pregnant or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy, from any cause related to or aggravated by the pregnancy or its management
- Maternal mortality in a region is a measure of the reproductive health of women in the area.
- It is a key performance indicator for efforts to improve the health and safety of mothers before, during, and after childbirth.
- The target 3.1 of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) is set by the United Nations aims to reduce the global maternal mortality ratio to less than 70 per 1,00,000 live births.
Source: The Hindu