India Rankings 2020
#GS2 #HumanResources #Education
Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has released “India Rankings 2020” of Institutions of Higher Education in various categories on the basis of their performance on five broad categories of parameters.
This is the fifth consecutive edition of India Rankings of the institutions of higher education in India. In 2020, an addition to nine rankings ie one domain “Dental” has been introduced for the first time bringing the total tally to 10 categories / subject domains.
- The ranking framework evaluates institutions on five broad generic groups of parameters, i.e. Teaching, Learning and Resources (TLR), Research and Professional Practice (RP), Graduation Outcomes (GO), Outreach and Inclusivity (OI) and Perception (PR). Ranks are assigned based on total sum of marks assigned for each of these five broad groups of parameters.
- As a matter of practice, 200 institutions are ranked in engineering discipline, 100 institutions are ranked in Overall, University and College categories, 75 each in Management and Pharmacy, 40 in Medical and 20 each in Architecture and Law and 30 institutions are ranked in Dental for the first time. Additional rankings in suitably bunched forms are also being provided.
- In the overall category, IIT Madras tops the list, followed by IISc Bengaluru, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay etc.
- IISc Bengaluru has been ranked as the top university in India, with second place occupied by JNU, New Delhi.
- In the management category, IIM Ahmedabad tops the list, followed by IIM Bangalore and IIM Calcutta in the second and third position.
- In the medical category, AIIMS, New Delhi tops the list, followed by PGI Chandigarh.
- In the newly introduced ‘dental’ category, ‘Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, Delhi’ has topped the list.
National Institutional Ranking Framework
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was launched by the Minister of Human Resource Development on 29th September 2015.
- This framework outlines a methodology to rank institutions across the country.
- The parameters broadly cover – Teaching, Learning and Resources,Research and Professional Practices,Graduation Outcomes,Outreach and Inclusivity andPerception.
- NIRF rankings 2019 has been given under 9 categories: Overall, Universities, Engineering, Medical, Management, Law, Architecture, Pharmacy, Colleges and Dental. Till 2019, the rankings were made under 8 categories. In 2020, the ninth category of ‘dental’ was added in the list.