IIT-G designs bamboo hospital beds
They are highly beneficial during epidemics and pandemics
- The Department of Design in the Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati (IIT-G) has completed a project in designing bamboo furniture to meet the requirements of the primary health centres in rural Assam during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The bamboo range, offered scope for improving basic infrastructure facilities during epidemics and pandemics such as COVID-19.
- The current pandemic has brought to the fore the need for seeking self-reliance of sustainable solutions that are contextually appropriate for meeting the needs of the community.
- The project would lead to utilising bamboo effectively for community facilities.
- Such utilisation was limited despite bamboo craft being an important economic driver in the northeast.
- Other bamboo hospital furniture items designed include a wheelchair.