Grant in aid of rs.15187.50
- Ministry of Jal Shakti has an amount of Rs.15187.50 crore, as grants-in-aid, in respect of 2.63 lakh Rural Local Bodies (RLBs) spread in 28 States of the country.
- The fund has been released by the Ministry of Finance on 15th July 2020.
- This grants-in-aid forms part of the Tied Grant as recommended by Fifteenth Finance Commission (XV-FC) for the period FY 2020-21 and is to be used by RLBs to facilitate taking up of various developmental work concerning the supply of drinking water, rainwater harvesting, water recycling, sanitation and maintenance of ODF status, which are national priorities.
- The Commission has recommended Grants-in-aid to all tiers of the Panchayati Raj including the Traditional Bodies of Fifth and Sixth Schedule areas, in 28 States, in two parts, namely,
- a Basic Grant and
- a Tied Grant.
- Fifty percent of the grant will be Basic Grant and fifty percent will be the Tied Grant. The basic grants are untied and can be used by RLBs for location-specific felt needs, except for salary or other establishment expenditure. The Tied Grants are to be used for the basic services of
- sanitation and maintenance of open-defecation free (ODF) status and
- supply of drinking water, rainwater harvesting, and water recycling.
- The RLBs shall, as far as possible, earmark one-half of these Tied Grants each to these two critical services. However, if any RLB has fully saturated the needs of one category it can utilize the funds for the other category.