First plasma therapy to begin in Karnataka today
#GS3 #Science #Pandemic
It will be carried out jointly by BMCRI and HCG Hospital
- The first plasma therapy in Karnataka for COVID-19 patients will begin by 25th Aptil, and will be carried out jointly by the Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute (BMCRI) and the HCG Hospital.
- Will begin by collecting the samples of two or three people who have recovered. Those who have other co-morbidities cannot participate in this process.
- The trial will test the efficacy of plasma therapy which uses antibodies of cured patients to treat critically ill COVID-19 cases.
- This treatment will not be used on patients who have mild and moderate symptoms.
- It will be used it on patients who are critical and are on ventilators or who are in intensive care units (ICU).
- This therapy may turn out to be promising, and hoping it will help patients with Severe Acute Respiratory Illness (SARI) recover from COVID-19.
- Out of 18 COVID-19 related deaths that have occurred in the State, a majority of them also had a medical history of SARI. This therapy will help reducing the morbidity rate in this category of patients.