Deadline for new emission norms for tractors
#GS2 #Governance #GS3 #Pollution
The Central Government has decided to extend the deadlines for the applicability of new emission norms for the tractors and construction equipment vehicles till October 2021. The norms were to be applicable from October 2020.
- According to the official release by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH), the new emission norms for tractors and construction equipment vehicles will come into force from October 2021 and April 2021.
- The Ministry had received the request for the extension of the emission norms from the Tractor manufacturers, Ministry of Agriculture, and agriculture associations.
Deferring the applicability date for emission norms:
- The Ministry of Road Transport, and Highways notified the amendment to Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 (CMVR) through GSR 598 (E) on September 30, 2020, deferring the applicability date for the implementation of the next stage of emission norms for tractors (TREM Stage-IV) from October 2020 to October 2021.
- For the construction equipment vehicles, the next phase of the emission norms is proposed to be applicable with effect from April 1, 2021, providing a deferment of 6 months.
Avoiding confusion between emission norms of different vehicles:
- The amendment by the Ministry of Road, Transport, and Highways attempts to avoid the confusion between the emission norms of other motor vehicles which has BS norms and those for the construction equipment vehicles, agricultural machinery, and such other equipment.
- The amendment had clearly included the separate emission norms for agricultural machinery (power trillers, agricultural tractors, and combined harvesters) and construction equipment vehicles.
- There is also a change in the nomenclature of emission norms from Bharat Stage (CEV/TREM) IV and Bharat Stage (CEV/TREM) V to TREM Stage-IV and TREM Stage V for the agricultural tractors and other equipment.