WORLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY DAY 2020
World Intellectual Property Day 2020 is being celebrated on April 26 with the theme “Innovate for a Green future”.
- The event was established by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2000 to "raise awareness of how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact on daily life."
- 26 April was chosen as the date because it coincides with the date on which the Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) entered into force in 1970.
- WIPO is one of the oldest specialised agencies of United Nations.
- WIPO was created in 1967 "to encourage creative activity, to promote the protection of intellectual property throughout the world".
- WIPO currently administers 26 international treaties.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Every year World Intellectual Property Day is being celebrated on 26th April.
- WIPO currently has 191 member states.
- All member states of the UN are entitled, though not obliged, to become members of the specialized agencies like WIPO.
- 188 of UN member states as well as Cook Islands, Holy See and Niue are members of WIPO.
- Palestine has permanent observer status.
- Some 250 non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and intergovernmental organizations (IGOs) have official observer status at WIPO meetings.
- India joined WIPO in 1975.
- Global Innovation Index - an annual ranking of countries by their capacity for, and success in, innovation.
- It is published in association with Cornell University and INSEAD.