Is Covid19 becoming airborne:
#GS2#Health#GS3#science and technology
- 239 scientists from 32 countries have warned that Coronavirus has a great risk for the airborne spread and WHO needs to revise guidelines.
- If the airborne transmission is a significant factor, especially in crowded spaces with poor ventilation, the consequences for containment will be significant.
- According to current evidence and as per WHO, Covid-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.
- Airborne transmission means a person can contract the disease by breathing in the infected air as the tiny pathogens stay suspended in the air.
- Some of the most common examples of airborne diseases include chickenpox virus, influenza virus, norovirus, and adenovirus.
Things to keep in mind if Coronavirus is airborne:
- Face-coverings and face-masks may be made mandatory even while practicing social distancing, especially indoors or in crowded areas
- Large social gatherings to be avoided
- Proper ventilation and minimizing the recirculation of air may be needed at offices, educational institutes, and hospital settings
- Usage of ultraviolet lights to kill aerosols suspended in the air in closed settings
- Physical distancing and washing hands is still very important
- Health care workers may all need to wear N95 masks
- When indoors, one simple thing people can do is to open their windows and doors whenever possible
Source: Indian Express