Center orders 11 mn doses of Covishield. Govt. says it will pay for priority group
#GS3 #COVID-19 #GS2 #GOVERNANCE
- Prime Minister announced Centre would bear the cost for vaccinating the priority group of three crore healthcare and frontline workers.
- Central government placed a purchase order with the Punebased Serum Institute of India (SII) for 11 million doses of Oxford COVID19 vaccine, Covishield, at a cost of Rs.210 per dose.
- Recently, GoI approved COVISHIELD and COVAXIN for restricted use in emergency situation against Covid-19 in India.
- The vaccines have been approved for use despite the companies not having completed clinical trials.
- Developed by the Oxford University in association with Swedish-British drug company AstraZeneca.
- Based on adenovirus found in chimpanzees (a weakened version of a common cold virus)
- It has the genetic material of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein
- Human immune system is expected to recognise this protein as a threat, and start building antibodies to resist it.
- Serum Institute of India (SII) will be manufacturing it in India.
COVAXIN: India’s indigenous vaccine.
- Developed by Bharat Biotech, Hyderabad along with the ICMR’s National Institute of Virology, Pune
- Inactivated vaccine: which is developed by inactivating (killing) the live microorganisms that cause the disease.
- This destroys the ability of the pathogen to replicate, but keeps it intact so that the immune system can still recognise it and produce an immune response.
- It is expected to target more than just the spike protein.
- It also aims to develop an immune response to the nucleocapsid protein (the shell of the virus that encloses its genetic material).
- This vaccine is still under "clinical trial mode." Covaxin Phase-3 efficacy data is still not released.
- COVAXIN is expected to be effective against latest variants of corona virus, including the UK variant, since it contains immunogens (epitopes) from other apart from Spike protein.
- Immunogen is a stimulus that creates a humoral or cell-mediated immune response, whereas antigens are any substance that binds specifically to an antibody.
- This user friendly mobile app for recording vaccine data is working as a beneficiary management platform having various modules.
- The platform will be used for recording vaccine data and will form a database of healthcare workers too.
- The app will have separate modules for administrator, registration, vaccination, beneficiary acknowledgement and reports.
- Once people start to register for the app, the platform will upload bulk data on co-morbidity provided by local authorities.
- In the process of forming database of Healthcare Workers, which is in an advanced stage across all States/UTs, data is presently being uploaded on the Co-WIN platform.
Prioritized Population Groups:
- Healthcare Workers in both Government and Private Healthcare facilities
- Frontline Workers including personnel from state and central police department, armed forces, home guard, civil defence organizations, disaster management volunteers and municipal workers and
- Prioritized Age Group, which includes those aged above 50 years & those with co-morbidities