Anti Satellite Missile (A-SAT)
#GS3 #Science&Technology #Defence #Missiles
A Customized My Stamp on India’s First Anti Satellite Missile (A-SAT) launch was released by Department of Posts on the occasion of Engineers Day.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted an Anti-Satellite (A-SAT) missile test ‘Mission Shakti’ from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha on 27th March 2019.
- A DRDO developed A-SAT Missile successfully engaged an Indian orbiting target satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in a ‘Hit to Kill’ mode.
- The interceptor missile was a three-stage missile with two solid rocket boosters. Tracking data from range sensors had confirmed that the mission met all its objectives.
- The entire effort was indigenous which demonstrated the Nation’s capability to develop such complex and critical missions.
- A number of industries also participated in the mission. With this success, India became fourth nation in the world to possess such capability.