World Environment Day
#GS3 #Environment #Biodiversity #Conservation
World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated on 5th June every year. Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change celebrates WED focusing on the theme declared by UNEP and organizes several events.
- In view of the prevalent situation due to COVID-19 pandemic the ministry will be holding virtual celebrations of World Environment Day on this year’s theme theme with focus on Nagar Van (Urban Forests).
- The World Environment Day 2020’s theme is ‘Celebrate Biodiversity‘, and it will be hosted in Colombia, in partnership with Germany.
- The theme is extremely relevant because human beings are part of the ecosystem and cannot continue to survive in isolation.
- Biodiversity is important for the survival of all living things big and small, on land, or in water. We need to understand that while there may be a food chain and ranking of species, every living thing is connected to another living thing, and together it forms a network of diverse life forms on the planet.
- Since it began in 1974, the event has grown to become a global platform for public outreach that is widely celebrated in over 100 countries.
- It is one of the biggest annual events in the world run by the United Nations to raise awareness among people.
- It is believed that the day was designed by the UN General Assembly in the year 1972, on the first day of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment.
- Last year’s theme was ‘Air Pollution‘. You can do your bit on June 5, by educating other people and also bringing some lifestyle changes yourself, so as to put less burden on the environment.