World Coconut Day
#GS3 #Events #Health
September 2 has a special significance for all coconut-growing countries of the world. It is the day observed annually as ‘World Coconut Day’ in several countries of the Asia-Pacific region, including India.
Coconut Day information:
- World coconut day is celebrated on 2nd of September annually as declared by Asian and Pacific coconut community (APCC) whose headquarters is at Jakarta, Indonesia.
- This organization works to economically support and promote all the coconut industries
- India is one of the founding members of this organization science 1968
- There is a coconut development board(CDB) in India which in collaboration with APCC organizes many events in different parts of the country.
- CDB headquarters at Kochi Kerala and has many regional and state offices all over the country.
- World coconut day is celebrated to promote the uses and importance of this holy tree.
- World coconut day 2020 is observed on 2nd of September 2020 (Wednesday)
Importance of coconut
- Coconut is India is referred to as “kalpavriksha”which means a tree which will fulfills all the necessities of life and is regarded as a holy tree.
- There is a lot of significance in Hindu religion for coconut and coconut tree in rituals and ceremonies.
- In other countries it is also called as “Tree of thousand uses” or “Tree of life”, every part of this tree utilized for either consumption or to make useful products.
- It creates agriculture as well as industrial employment opportunities.
- Coconut is produced in more than 80 countries around the world.
- In World India stands as third largest coconut producer with Indonesia at the top.
- The south states are at the top it is said almost 90% of coconut production is from south states