World Accreditation Day 2020
The World Accreditation Day (WAD) is celebrated on 9th June every year to highlight as well as promote the role of accreditation in trade & economy.
The theme for WAD 2020 is “Accreditation: Improving Food Safety”, as decided by the International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC).
What is ‘accreditation’?
- Accreditation is a formal, independent verification that a program or institution meets established quality standards and is competent to carry out specific conformity assessment tasks. Conformity assessment tasks may include, but are not limited to, testing, inspection, or certification.
Accreditation in India
- National Accreditation Board for Certification Bodies (NABCB) and National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) are the two accreditation boards of the Quality Council of India (QCI).
- The Quality Council of India (QCI) works for promotion of Quality Standards across various economic and social sectors such as manufacturing, education, health and environment.
- The QCI has been established as a National body for Accreditation on recommendation of Expert Mission of EU after consultation in Inter-Ministerial Task Force, Committee of Secretaries and Group of Ministers through a Cabinet decision in 1996.
- Accordingly, the QCI was set up through a PPP model as an independent autonomous organisation with the support of Government of India and the Indian Industry represented by the three premier industry associations, (i) Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM), (ii) Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and (iii) Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- Chairman of QCI is appointed by the Prime Minister on recommendation of the industry to the government.
- The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (now Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, is the nodal ministry for QCI.
The QCI is the umbrella organisation of five boards –
- NABL – National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories;
- NABH – National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare;
- NABET – National Accreditation Board for Education and Training;
- NABCB – National Accreditation Board for Certification Bodies; and
- NBQP – National Board for Quality Promotion.