Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
#GS2 #Governance #Schemes
TRIFED has entered into a partnership with IIT Delhi for the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA). To cement and formalize this partnership, a tripartite MOU was signed between TRIFED, IIT Delhi, and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA, a Swadeshi Science Movement).
- Tribal entrepreneurs under TRIFED’s Van Dhan program will now be able to get access to the expertise of the entire network of 2600 + academic and research institutions under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA).
About Pradhan Mantri Van Dhana Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY) is a retail marketing-led value addition plan for Minor Forest Produce (MFP), meant for forest-based tribes to optimize the tribal income, locally.
- Under the program, MFP-based tribal groups/enterprises of around 300 members are formed for collection, value addition, packaging & marketing of Minor Forest Produces (MFPs).
- These tribal enterprises will be in the form of Van Dhan SHGs which will be a group of 15-20 members and such 15 SHG groups will further be federated into a larger group of Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKS) of around 300 members.
- TRIFED will support the VDVKs through providing them with model business plans, processing plans & a tentative list of equipment for carrying out the value-added work of MFPs.
About Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
- It is aimed at providing rural India with professional resource support from institutes of higher education to address the development challenges through appropriate technologies.
- It aims to link the Higher Education Institutions with at least (5) villages, to enable the institutions to contribute to the economic and social betterment of these village communities using their knowledge base.
- Each selected institute would adopt a cluster of villages/panchayats and gradually expand the outreach over a period.
- IIT Delhi has been designated to function as the National Coordinating Institute for this program.
- HRD along with the Ministries of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj has agreed to link all Higher Education Institutes (HEIs) with rural development processes under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA).